The following sites collect information especially for kids. They often organize information into general subject topics that you can browse, or provide a way to search for specific information.
- BrainPop GameUp - www.brainpop.com/games/
A collection of free online games that relate to school subject for children in grades 3 and up. BrainPop also includes a section for younger children, and children learning English as a second language.
- Discovery Education: Homework Help - www.discoveryeducation.com/students/
Free Student Resources, including interactive games and videos, for a variety of subject areas.
- FactMonster - www.factmonster.com/
From the Information Please almanac, this site features its own Homework Center with resources divided by subject matter, and other useful online tools, such as atlases, conversion calculators and more.
- Great Web Sites for Kids - gws.ala.org/
Collected by librarians, this list of sites has sections on Animals, Literature & Languages, History & Biography; Math & Computers, Sciences and more!
- Kids.Gov - kids.gov/
Links to government and other informational, as well as fun sites for kids.
- Khan Academy - www.khanacademy.org/
Features more than 3,000 videos on math, science, test prep topics and more, enabling users to watch and learn for free. Includes hundred of practice exercises and resources for teachers, too.
- Internet Public Library - For Kids - www.ipl.org/div/kidspace/
Find reviewed websites in one of the subject collections, such as "Math and Science," or in one of the Special Features, such as "Science Fair." More resources available from the Internet Public Library Home Page.
- National Geographic for Kids - kids.nationalgeographic.com/
Find information, pictures and more on featured animals, people and places.
- Online Writing Lab from Purdue - owl.english.purdue.edu/
Includes resources on grammar, citation styles and guides for people learning English as a Second Language.
- Scholastic.com: School Success - www.scholastic.com/parents/school-success
This site is aimed at parents, but check out the "Parent Primers" for a useful review of concepts covered in different subjects at each grade level.
- Time for Kids: Homework Helper - www.timeforkids.com/homework-helper
Get grammar and writing tips, or create your own flash cards to help practice math skills or remember facts from different subjects.
- Word Central - www.wordcentral.com/
Look up words in the student dictionary, find rhyming words and get the daily buzzword, too! Or, try the complete Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (http://www.m-w.com/)
to check the spelling or meaning of a word. This site includes a Pronunciation Guide, Spanish/English translator and a Visual Dictionary, as well.