Monroe County Public Library Renovation Project, Fall 2009-Spring 2010
For Immediate Release
Contact: Margaret Harter
Community Relations Coordinator
812-349-3050; fax 812-349-3051
email: mharter [at] mcpl [dot] info
Bloomington, IND--Beginning in November, the Main Library of Monroe County Public Library will undergo a series of needed facility renovations that may affect patron access and service points throughout the library over the next 9-to-12 months. Major projects being undertaken include the replacement of flooring on both first and second floors, a relocated Drive-up Window, new checkout/circulation spaces, and changes to VITAL and public computing areas.
"Although there will be short-term closings of areas and a temporary reduction in available parking, library staff are committed to offering access and assistance throughout this period," emphasized Mickey Needham, Project Manager. "We truly appreciate the public's patience and support during the renovation project, and we believe that the end result will be worth the temporary inconvenience."
What patrons can expect:
- In November, the Children's Department will close so that we can replace carpet damaged in the 2008 flood and make other improvements. From November 1-8, only Children's
Homework Help and children's movies will be available. Beginning in mid-November there also will be a small browsing collection of children's books available in Room 1B/1C. The Children's Department will reopen in mid-to-late December.
- Parking in the Library Parking Lot will be temporarily reduced as we do outdoor work this fall to create a drive-through lane for a new Drive-up Window to open next spring.
- First floor checkout will move to tables located in the Atrium until mid-December. Patrons not using Self-Checkout will have to pay fines and fees at second-floor Checkout through this period.
- In late 2009, the VITAL Office and El Centro Comunal Latino will move to temporary quarters in first-floor rooms.
- Computers previously deployed in our Public Computing Center (PCC) will be arrayed around the second floor. There will be no reduction in computer access.
- In late 2009, carpeting work will begin on the second floor.
- In spring of 2010, the new Drive-up Window will open as the old Drive-up closes. Second-floor circulation space will open as will the new VITAL office space.
Please contact the library at 349-3050 if you have any questions or comments. You can also visit www.mcpl.info for information as the renovation progresses.