What if I can't afford to pay off my fines/fees?
We have a Fine Option Program available. If you are 14 or older, you may arrange to volunteer in the library in lieu of paying overdue charges. A credit of $5 is earned for each hour of designated volunteer work.
To qualify for the Fine Option Program, you must owe $10 or more on your individual library account.
Credit may only be applied toward overdue charges and is not applicable toward replacement costs for lost or damaged items.
Credit is applied only to the specific volunteer's account. Credit is not transferable to another patron's account.
To sign up for the program:
- Ask a staff member at any Information Desk to review your account and confirm what fees qualify (only overdue charges qualify.)
- Fill out a Volunteer Application with your availability, interests and contact information. Applications are also available at any Information Desk.
- Turn in your Volunteer Application at any Information Desk.
What to expect:
- The Volunteer Coordinator or another Library staff member will contact you for a training or work-time appointment 1-2 weeks after you turn in your Volunteer Application.
- You will meet with a Library staff member who will train you and show you how to sign-in and track your volunteer hours worked.
- The Library staff member will turn in your hours worked in a regular report.
- The appropriate credit will be applied against your account. It may take up to a week for the report/credit to be processed.
We also have a Fine Option Program for Children and Teens: Read It Off.
If you are under 18 years of age and owe money on your account, you may arrange to "Read it Off." A credit of $5 can be earned for each use and return of designated Library material.
To qualify for Read It Off, you must owe $10 or more on your individual Library account.
Read it Off credit may be applied toward overdue charges and replacement costs.
Credit is applied only to the specific child/teen's account. Credit is not transferable to another patron's account.
Learn more and sign up for the program.