In order to meet the educational, informational, and recreational interests and needs of the library's patrons, the Monroe County Public Library provides free access to computers, basic computer applications--such as word processing and other "productivity" software, the Internet, and Internet resources. Please refer to our Internet and Computer Use Policy .
No computer at home? Looking for a Wi-Fi connection?
The Library is the place to be. Save time. Save money.
Free Computer Access. For residents and visitors, the library offers:
- Public computers with basic computer applications, such as word processing and other productivity software.
- Internet access
- Wi-Fi  for laptops and other wireless devices
- Wireless printing to library computers from your laptop
|Use the library computers to your benefit:|
The Main Library and the Ellettsville Branch Library provide free Internet access and public computers. Service is available during all open hours.
Public Computers - Details and Services
There are 80 public computers in service. This number includes 55 in the second-floor Information Desk area, 11 in Children's Services, and 14 at the Ellettsville branch.
- Windows 7 workstations with Internet access and Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- DVD and CD players
- CD burning capability
- Black and white, and color laser printers
- Accept: USB flash drives and CDs
- CD-R discs can be purchased at the library
- 30 cents free printing per day for library card users, i.e., three black and white pages or one color page
- Library computer users cannot install software on library computers
- Log on to a computer by entering a library card number. If you do not have a library card, you may login with any combination of letters, numbers, and punctuation. This login will be needed when printing.
- All users are guaranteed the first hour of use uninterrupted. The system will extend time in half-hour increments after the first hour is up. When computers are full, the system determines which computer(s) are eligible to be reserved based on whose time is "up" first. Once the remaining time on the timer has been used, the computer must be relinquished to the patron who has the reservation.
- Printing: The library offers 30 cents free printing per day for library card users (three pages black and white or one color page). Additional black and white pages are available at 10 cents per copy and color pages at 30 cents per copy, payable at the printing stations.
- Breaks: Leave for 15 minutes during a session by locking the computer. After 15 minutes, patrons may lose their computer, especially if the room is busy.
- Please refer to the EnvisionWare FAQ  for more information.
Wireless Configuration and Setup
Wireless access at MCPL is high-speed and free. Come in and find a comfortable spot. With a wireless-enabled laptop or device, access to the Internet is available throughout the Bloomington and Ellettsville libraries.
Visit the library's Wireless Internet Service  page for complete details about configuring your wireless settings at the library.
The Advanced Workstations in Education (AWE) Early Literacy Station is the first in a series of educational solutions for children ages 2 through 10. It includes more than forty-five educational software packages spanning seven curricular areas, top rated by Children's Technology Review.
The Early Literacy Station is not just another computer with software. Kids are captivated by the interface and start to explore immediately. Safe, fun, educationally effective, warranted, hassle-free, and fresh every year.
Educational titles in each curriculum area are chosen for age appropriateness, educational value, replay interest, ease of use, entertainment value, graphics and sound, discovery and growth, and much more. The interface is imaginative and intuitive and encourages exploration by drawing kids into a learning adventure.
Any items, including computer disks left at the public computers by patrons will be taken to "lost and found" at the 2nd Floor Circulation Desk.